Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Lights, Camera, Action!

Due to the fact that I'm feeling sluggish, and rather like death warmed over today, I figured I would do an action post to inspire myself. One of the really nice things about working at the Air Force Academy is getting to shoot the sports. It's pretty wicked cool. And I must admit that I am 100% spoiled rotten when it comes to sporting events now. Watch from the stands?!? Pfftt! I wanna be on the sidelines. I want to have to worry about someone sliding out of bounds and taking me out-more chance to get that great shot of the action headed right for me. For those of you who are aspiring sports photographers out there, remember- you will heal, your cameras and lenses won't. Get the shot then shield your gear! I think the only sport I don't really dig shooting from the sidelines is volleyball. I like to get up a bit higher in the stands to get the "over the net" shots. Like this one:

Air Force Photo/Rachel Boettcher

There's a little bit of motion on her right hand and the ball, but since I was shooting with lights, I could only sync up to 250 for the shutter speed, and that arm was movin FAST. I like the shot anyway though.

I suppose baseball is a sport I tend to move around a lot on as well. Depending on where I am focusing- which base, which position I need to shoot, and which lenses I have with me, I'll move to different spots. I'll go to the outside of the dugouts, the roof of the press box, depending on the umps and the game, sometimes I'll go inside the fence along the baselines, and sometimes I'll stay out and shoot through the chainlink. It all depends. You never know when you'll get those really fun shots. You just hope you are at the right angle to capture it. Here are a couple baseball shots to remind you all of warmer days:


Air Force Photo/Rachel Boettcher

Air Force Photo/Rachel Boettcher

Air Force Photo/Rachel BoettcherAir Force Photo/Rachel BoettcherAir Force Photo/Rachel Boettcher

Air Force Photo/Rachel Boettcher

Air Force Photo/Rachel Boettcher

Ok, that's about all the gumption I've got at the moment. I'll do more later. Have a superb day!

2 comments:

Tracy Boettcher said...

I can communicate! Get rid of the recognition software, though. Awesome pics-I like to hear the circumstances of the shots. You could be on to something..................

momboe said...

OH! Fun blog. I love to hear about how you get your shots. The shot of the guys arm is amazing and confusing!
More pictures, more pictures, more pictures.